Applying for a Marriage License

When & where do I apply for a Marriage License? 

  • Maine residents must apply in the Town where they reside. Couples who maintain separate Maine residences can choose which Town they want to apply in.  
  • If one spouse is a Maine resident and the other resides out of state, the paperwork is filed in the Maine resident’s Town.
  • Out of state residents may apply in any Town.
  • A Marriage License is valid for 90 days from the date the Marriage Intentions are filed and is valid anywhere within the State of Maine.
  • The Town Clerk's Office accepts appointments for marriage license requests Monday - Friday from 8:30AM - 3PM.

How do I apply for a Marriage License?

  1. Intentions of Marriage Form - The first step is to complete the Intention of Marriage Form (PDF) and send it to the Town Clerk's Office via email. It is important to complete all fields and include middle names of all individuals listed. If completing on paper (not electronically), you must use black ink only. Please do not yet sign the form as your signature will be witnessed when you file the form with the Town Clerk's Office. When we receive the completed Intentions Form, we will create a draft of the license and email you copies to carefully review. We will then schedule a time for both parties to come into the office to sign the documents and pay the $40.00 filing fee. 
  2. Previous Marriage(s) - If either party has been married before, you must present a certified copy of the last marriage's divorce decree or certified death certificate when filing the Marriage Intentions Form. Certified means that the documents are affixed with a raised or gold seal and/or contain original signatures. A record of divorce, if not in English, must be translated into English by a disinterested 3rd person at the parties’ expense.
  3. In-Person Appointment - Both parties must schedule an in-person appointment with the Town Clerk's Office, together or separately, to sign the documents, pay the $40 filing fee and obtain the Marriage License. Please bring your photo IDs, any certified documents from previous marriages as described above and a form of payment. We accept cash, checks and credit/debit cards (fees apply). 
  4. Completion of Paperwork - Within 7 days following the marriage ceremony, the Officiant must return the completed Marriage License either in person or via mail to the Town Clerk’s Office so we can finalize your marriage with the state. You can then request (PDF) Certified Marriage Certificates for a fee of $15 for the first and $6 for each additional copy when purchased at the same time.
  1. Merton Brown

    Town Clerk

  2. Katrina Boyer

    Deputy Town Clerk

  3. Ruth Tranter

    Assistant Town Clerk

  4. Town Clerk's Office

    Physical Address
    Kennebunk Town Hall, Second Floor
    1 Summer St.
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Mailing Address
    1 Summer Street
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Phone (207) 985-2102 ext. 1602
    Fax (207) 985-4609

    Monday - Friday

    8:00AM - 4:30PM