Fuel and Energy Savings Programs

Home Energy Assistance Program

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded program which provides money to eligible homeowners and renters to help cover heating costs. Renters whose utilities are included in their rent are eligible for assistance with direct and indirect energy costs. In most cases, the funds are distributed directly to the fuel and utility vendors. To schedule an appointment, contact York County Community Action, (207) 324-5762.

Kennebunk's Emergency Heating Assistance Fund

This fund provides assistance to households that are ineligible for municipal General Assistance or other fuel assistance programs. Fuel assistance can be provided in the form of #2 home heating oil, firewood, wood pellets, kerosene, propane or with an electric bill if electric heat is the sole heating source. To request help through this fuel assistance fund contact the General Assistance office

Consumer Home Heating Rights

The Attorney General has issued rules that regulate the sale of home heating oil during the winter months from October 15 through April 30. One of the basic consumer rights detailed in these rules is that an oil dealer cannot refuse to deliver to a consumer even if the consumer owes the dealer money, providing these three conditions are met:

1) The consumer has cash or government guaranteed payment to pay for the oil being requested 

2) The dealer regularly serves the consumer's area and

3) The consumer requests at least 20 gallons 

 Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP)

The Energy Crisis Intervention Program provides emergency financial assistance for home heating or utility disconnects. Consumers must have a pre-approved, current HEAP application, have less than 1/8 of a tank of fuel, 25% or less in a propane tank, or 3-days or less supply for other types of delivered home energy and have exhausted all payment options with your electric company. For more information please contact York County Community Action at (207) 324-5762.  

 Central Heating Improvement Fund (CHIP)

Maine Housing Authority's Central Heating Improvement Program provides grants to repair or replace central heating systems that serve low-income households. CHIP funds may be used only to repair or replace dangerous, malfunctioning or inoperable heating systems that pose a threat to health and safety. The maximum grant for a heating system repair or replacement is $5,000 for owner-occupied homes. Limited CHIP benefits of up to $400 may be available for rental properties occupied by LIHEAP eligible tenants. Please call (207) 626-4600 for more information.

Efficiency Maine

Efficiency Maine offers a variety of home energy savings programs. FMI, please call (866) 376-2463.

Weatherization Resources

 Habitat for Humanity's Keep York County Warm program helps residents reduce their energy costs and improve their comfort, health, safety and air quality inside the home. Keep York County Warm! provides weatherization service at no cost to low-income homeowners each year. Habitat for Humanity is utilizing rebates from Efficiency Maine’s Low-Income Home Energy Savings Program to provide each homeowner with $1,050 of weatherization services. Each home will receive custom built interior storm window inserts.

Window Dressers partners with Keep York County Warm! to provide low cost insulating window inserts to both homeowners and renters through their volunteer Community Workshop program. These reusable, removable inserts function as interior storm windows, saving a typical home an average of 105 gallons of heating fuel every year.  

  1. Social Services

    Physical Address
    Kennebunk Town Hall, Second Floor
    1 Summer St.
    Kennebunk, ME 04043

    Phone (207) 985-2102, option 3
    Fax (207) 985-4609

    Applications for General Assistance are taken by appointment only.