- Town Manager
Appointment of New Town Manager
We are happy to announce that the Kennebunk Select Board appointed Heather Balser to the position of Town Manager, effective February 6, 2023.
After an extensive nationwide search by the consulting firm Strategic Government Resources, the Select Board voted unanimously at a Special Select Board meeting on December 20, 2022 to appoint Ms. Balser for a three-year term commencing on February 6, 2023 through December 31, 2025.
Welcome to the Town of Kennebunk.
We hope you find our website helpful as you browse the departments and services and discover what Kennebunk has to offer.
Town Meeting, Select Board, Town Manager Government
The Town of Kennebunk has a Select Board-Town Manager form of government, which was established in Kennebunk in 1984. The Town Manager is appointed by and reports to the Select Board for a term of up to three years and is the Town’s Chief Administrative Official, responsible for the day-to-day activities of the town.
As described in the Town Charter, certain responsibilities are vested in the Town Manager, Select Board and the Annual Town Meeting, such as:
- Implementing the policies, resolutions, and ordinances adopted by the governing body of the town, which is the Select Board and/or Town Meeting.
- Preparing and overseeing the annual budget process and its implementation following the approval of the town meeting.
- Keeping the residents informed as to the financial condition of the town.
- Overseeing all town staff, division directors, departments and activities. The Town Manager is assisted by an executive team consisting of the Finance Director, Police Chief, Fire Chief, Town Clerk, Assessor, Director of Public Services, Parks & Recreation Director, Director of Human Resources and the Director of Community Development.
- Attending all meetings of the Select Board and performing such other duties as may be prescribed by the Town Charter or required by the Select Board, not inconsistent with the Charter.
- Receives Freedom of Information (PDF) Requests
- View the full job description
The Town Manager also serves as Tax Collector, Overseer of the Poor (General Assistance agent), Purchasing Agent for all departments (except the school, which is a separate entity) and has exclusive authority on personnel matters.